Monday 7 November 2011

New Project....a new challenge

I've decided to add some 3D pieces to the "Exquisite Poverty: Song of the Shirt" work, as I may be exhibiting it further away from home next year and am quite excited about the prospect of challenging myself to make things I havn't attempted before, but which I think will add another dimension to it.
I'm not going to say too much at this early stage, but the first piece I shall be working on is a "chandelier" which will combine left over fragments from the shirting quilt, with Victorian lace.
I have had the gilt metal frame of an original 19th century light shade in my shed for about 5 years...only rediscovering it on cleaning out the shed recently...and it was then that I suddenly saw it as a centre for the original roon setting. I am also thinking about a small chest and footstool, but one thing at a time, as the remains of the quilt are so little now.
I have been a bit "stuck" as I had intended to start a whole new work...but have felt that the EP:SOTS work was not quite complete...especially if I am offered a larger venue. If I can produce the three new pieces, I think I shall be happy to start a new journey.
Here are some images of the antique frame as I start to dismantle the remains of the old fabric.
The gilt frame and the inner ring which I have unscrewed to remove the fabric.
The lace hem from a Victorian petticoat, and some scraps of the vintage shirting.
The outer gilt frame...this is a large piece measuring about 18" straight across.
Halfway through taking the fabric off the inner frame....it has been oversewn with such tight, tiny stitches and I wonder if i will be able to do so well.It was also completely wrapped in fine tape which has now rotted away with rust...I will probably have to re-bind this.
I never really plan exactly what I am making as I prefer to work on intuition and let things evolve...it has been the best way in the past, but I think I shall have to plan the layout of the fabric due to its' scarcity now....and I think the writing from the poem should be visible on the inside; lots of things to think about when I go to the studio tomorrow.

No comments: