Wednesday 12 May 2010

Quilt Fragment...a work in progess

This is the start of my last piece for the collection. It was inspired by the quilt exhibition at the V&A, and is made from the 100 year old white embroidered fabric that I used for the "Woman" dress. I have been hand quilting it onto a piece of vintage white blanket and adding some antique lace.It is working really well, and I think it may be one of my favourite pieces from the collection. It will purposely look like an unfinished piece...a fragment, and at the bottom, a pair of vintage gloves will be sewn in honour of all the hands in the past that have quilted comfort for themselves and others. The mother of pearl crucifix will be added, and embroidered around with just a little old lace running down one side of the fabric. I want to get on with it, but PDP hand-in is on Friday, so stitching has had to wait.

No comments: