Friday 30 January 2015

A little work in progress


Well, we had some snow and it got really dark so it was comforting to draw some curtains....leaving one open to watch the snow, and do some stitching.

This is another piece of the ancient Durham quilt...a work in progress.
I have added a small panel of Victorian print cotton and quilted it, and have exposed more of the much older pink and cream printed fabric that would have been the original...very pretty quilt before it was covered on the red and white striped fabric, quilted and made useful again.
These layers of history are intriguing, and I love to uncover them and show fabric that probably hasn't been seen since it was covered and worked upon 100 years ago.

Antique fabric and lace, a work in progress for the proposed Etsy shop.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Ellen. Just discovered your blog via Sea Angels and what a lovely place it is too! I also live in Essex -Burnham on Crouch for 8 years now and have fallen in love with the saltmarshes and coastal walks. I do a bit of felting and vintage textile work. I love your work - the antique quilts are lovely.

Ellen said...

Hello Victoria,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, they are so encouraging as I am trying to get back to writing in my blog on a regular basis again after the disruption of last year.
I too love the saltmarshes and coastal walks, there is always something lovely to see from nature.
I haven't done any felting for a long time, but still have a lot of fleece which I know I shall use again one day....I love working with antique fabrics, they are just so rewarding to handle ....I am hoping to open my Etsy shop at the end of this month, or beginning of March, and will be putting the images of the completed textile panels on the blog as soon as they are mounted.
I first met Lynne from Sea Angels at the New Designers Exhibition, Islington in 2010 where I was showing my Graduate Collection ( I was a very mature student! ) she is a lovely lady and her work is beautiful.